How to edit application menus

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 25 06:46:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:39:34 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:09:04 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
>>>Did you already read http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu ? I
>>>doubt you will have to edit xfce-applications.menu, most things can
>>>be done by adding proper categories to the *.desktop files. When you
>>>add some, make sure to use the registered values from
>>>http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

I have made some progress editing the xfce-applications.menu file, but
some things are not working the way I expect. At this point I have made
a lot of changes and, unfortunately, I must have *moved* the file
from /usr/share instead of making a *copy* of the file (which was my
intent), so I no longer have the original. If someone can send me their
xfce-applications.menu file it would be great. Actually, the part I'm
having difficulty with is just the first 50 lines (through the end of
the Layout section), so it would be possible just to copy and paste it
here.