nm-applet crashes under Fedora15/XFCE

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 4 21:17:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 12:04:27AM +0300, Risto Vaarandi wrote:
> hi all,
>
> today, after doing 'yum upgrade' on a freshly installed
> system
> (Fefora15/XFCE) I noticed that after the user has already been
> connected
>  to one WiFi network, attempt to connect to another network will remove
>
> nm-applet from the Notification Area of XFCE. The applet will never
> reappear, neither for the current user nor any new user accounts.
>

> I did another install to verify this bug, and observed exactly the same
>
> issue. When running nm-applet from a terminal window, it complains
> about
>  missing /usr/share/libnm-gtk/wifi.ui file and crashes with
> segmentation
>  fault. Haven't had any similar issues with Fedora15/XFCE so far.
>

> Any clues? This bug is extremely annoying, since it locks out end users
> from all WiFi connectivity. Are there any workaround for this?

This is unfortunately a side effect of a bug in NetworkManager that
isn't entirely specific to XFCE.

The fix is here:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2011-13742

It should be making its way to stable update repos/mirrors soon but if
you'd like to side step that you can run the following command:
yum -y update NetworkManager --enablerepo=updates-testing

You'll likely need a wired connection to pull off the upgrade, or you
can sneakernet the packages in the update link.

Hope this helps,
-AdamM