Using live-CD to fix LILO boot

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Tue Sep 6 16:00:40 UTC 2011

On 03/09/2011 03:23, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:

>      The Live CD does not always mount all your stuff as it does
> not cover all the controller the installation CD comes with.

OT: Incidentally, that's a bit of a shame; if the LiveCD 'could' see
the filesystems, the Live CD could be used for 'quick adjustments' if
it was easily to hand, and especially if the person is using XFCE/Fxx
on a daily basis.  But that's a discussion for another day.

>      Instead, use your installation CD's rescue mode.

I'd already found this page:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Installation_Guide/ap-rescuemode.html

which looked pretty helpful.  But my LiveCD - which I'd used for my
install - didn't have the Fedora 'rescue' option on initial boot.

OT again:  Would it be possible to have the Fedora rescue option on
the Live-CD?  Would there be enough space?  I remember a discussion
not long ago when people were discussing what could go onto the CD
because some space had become available.  At the time, I hadn't
realised that 'rescue' wasn't there, nor how useful it could be.

> Here are
> my notes on how to do this.  It is a bit dated, but everything
> is there.  I have used it several time with success.
>
> ---Lilo.Recovery.txt---
>
> How to reinstall Lilo:
>
> Boot into rescue mode from your first Red Hat install disk:
>
> It should automatically detect your linux partitions and
> mount them at /mnt/sysimage.
>
>       #chroot /mnt/sysimage
>       #cd /etc
>       #lilo

Thanks for this.  I didn't have a Fedora install disc.  Eventually,
just typing 'lilo' into another very basic rescue shell seemed to
bring LILO back into life; I guess it fixed its records about which
drives were which.

Todd, thanks for the help,

regards, Ron