Desktop icon Xfce 4.9.x

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:38:09 UTC 2012

On 4/13/2012 7:55 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 13:13, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With the update I lost the three launchers on the desktop. Home, File
>> System, and Trash.
>>
>> There are 6 files, with various names, in
>> /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop that list these and their locations.
>
> Okay, I'm assuming the XFCE menu >> Settings >> Desktop (Icons tab >
> Default Icons) gui is not working either?
>
> In my ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc I have the following:
>
> [Trash]
> row=3
> col=0
>
> [File System]
> row=2
> col=0
>
> [Home]
> row=1
> col=0
>
> If those are missing and as before, if adding them by hand gets it
> working again, then I would think there is something wrong with your
> setup since many GUIs are failing. My first hunch would something is
> preventing the GUIs from writing to the config files. Directory
> permissions might be a culprit, or maybe some SELinux context.
>
> Hope this helps.

I do not have "XFCE menu >> Settings >> Desktop (Icons tab)" . The
"Desktop" is missing. IIRC I should have a GUI that has check-boxes that
enable or disable the icons.

All of the folders and files have 'Read-Write' for Owner (me) and 'Read
only' for Group and Others.

Replacing the existing 'icons.screen0.rc' with the contents you wrote
above (which matches what I had before) does nothing.

I must have something terribly wrong. Thanks for you help though.

--

  David