Request for review: new desktop groups - XFCE

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 17:24:51 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 04:27 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> As part of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReworkPackageGroups, I've
> been working on redoing some of the groups that make up installation choices
> in anaconda. The idea is to offer a simpler interface, where the user simply
> selects which environment they want to run in, plus options for that
> environment.
>
> Based on what's in the kickstart file for the XFCE spin, here's what I
> have for the XFCE:
>
> XFCE contains:
>        desktop-backgrounds-compat
>        Thunar
>        xfce-utils
>        xfce4-panel
>        xfce4-session
>        xfce4-settings
>        xfconf
>        xfdesktop
>        xfwm4
>        ConsoleKit
>        fedora-icon-theme
>        lightgdm-gtk
>        gtk-xfce-engine
>        gvfs
>        leafpad
>        NetworkManager-gnome
>        openssh-askpass
>        orage
>        polkit-gnome
>        Terminal
>        thunar-archive-plugin
>        thunar-volman
>        tumbler
>        xarchiver
>        xfce4-appfinder
>        xfce4-icon-theme
>        xfce4-mixer
>        xfce4-power-manager
>        xfce4-session-engines
>        xfwm4-theme-nodoka
>        xscreensaver-base
>        cheese
>        catfish
>        galculator
>        seahorse
>        ConsoleKit-x11
>        NetworkManager-vpnc
>        NetworkManager-openvpn
>        NetworkManager-pptp
>        gnome-bluetooth
>        xdg-user-dirs-gtk
>        adwaita-cursor-theme
>        adwaita-gtk2-theme
>        adwaita-gtk3-theme
>        greybird-gtk2-theme
>        greybird-gtk3-theme
>        greybird-xfce4-notifyd-theme
>        greybird-xfwm4-theme
>        albatross-gtk2-theme
>        albatross-gtk3-theme
>        albatross-xfwm4-theme
>        bluebird-gtk2-theme
>        bluebird-gtk3-theme
>        bluebird-xfwm4-theme
>        ristretto
>        thunar-media-tags-plugin
>        xfce4-battery-plugin
>        xfce4-cellmodem-plugin
>        xfce4-clipman-plugin
>        xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
>        xfce4-datetime-plugin
>        xfce4-dict-plugin
>        xfce4-diskperf-plugin
>        xfce4-eyes-plugin
>        xfce4-fsguard-plugin
>        xfce4-genmon-plugin
> [...]

Suggestions,

the XFCE group there has apps that should be optional:

- NetworkManager-gnome
- openssh-askpass
- orage (if no panel plugin calls it by default; I don't have it so I
think it it isn't required)
- xarchiver
- xscreensaver-base
- cheese
- catfish
- galculator
- seahorse
- gnome-bluetooth

Some of the above could go to the xfce-apps group (or other group) and
some maybe could be dropped altogether (depending on how basic one think
they are) as they're needed only for some users (NetworkManager-gnome,
openssh-askpass, gnome-bluetooth¹, seahorse)

¹ I don't have bluetooth but I've seen mentions that blueman is better.

Plus the list needs to be reviewed as there are packages that are
already dependencies of others (polkit-gnome → xfce4-session).

I would also either replace leafpad with geany or add it to the
xfce4-apps group.

Also the more specific panel plugins could have a separate group.
Basic ones that could stay (or go to xfce4-apps) are maybe:

- xfce4-clipman-plugin (apps)
- xfce4-datetime-plugin (basic)
- xfce4-dict-plugin (apps)
- xfce4-notes-plugin (apps)
- xfce4-places-plugin (basic)
- xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin (basic)
- xfce4-screenshooter-plugin (basic)
- xfce4-xfswitch-plugin (basic, needs a little tweaking to work with
lightdm, I think)

The others could go to a specific extra-panel-plugins group.