Request for review: new desktop groups - XFCE

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:21:10 UTC 2012

>> - NetworkManager-gnome
>
> I think we need this... how else are folks expected to use and manage
> their network?

Ok, but just to clarify NetworkManager-gnome (not simple NetworkManager)
is useful only if one has more than one type of connection (like wired
and wireless) or is an easy way to configure DSL connection, for
instance (had forgot about that, it's important).

>> - xarchiver
>
> I suppose, but again small...

I think it should go to the apps group. I personally use file-roller
which is much better (more features, not so light but still quite light).
I personally use gnome-search-tool too instead of catfish.

>> I would also either replace leafpad with geany or add it to the
>> xfce4-apps group.
>
> geany is more of a programming editor isn't it?

Sure, but syntax highlighting is useful even for non-programmers. I
mentioned for it being a sort of lighter alternative to gedit.

> leafpad is more for 'I want to view this simple text file' or 'change
> one line in a config'
>

>> Also the more specific panel plugins could have a separate group.
>> Basic ones that could stay (or go to xfce4-apps) are maybe:
>>
>> - xfce4-clipman-plugin (apps)
>> - xfce4-datetime-plugin (basic)
>> - xfce4-dict-plugin (apps)
>> - xfce4-notes-plugin (apps)
>> - xfce4-places-plugin (basic)
>> - xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin (basic)
>> - xfce4-screenshooter-plugin (basic)
>> - xfce4-xfswitch-plugin (basic, needs a little tweaking to work with
>> lightdm, I think)
>>
>> The others could go to a specific extra-panel-plugins group.
>
> Sounds reasonable.

Maybe clipman could be in the basic group. It's a fairly basic feature,
even if a sort of app by itself.