Have pragha replace quodlibet? (was Re: [spin-kickstarts] xfce: Drop quodlibet for now until we can sort out dep issues.)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 10 23:41:38 UTC 2012

Am Freitag, den 10.02.2012, 17:09 +0000 schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> commit 6690f0db6e5e48403122f8fda9a9fefbd1f9b640
> Author: Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
> Date:   Fri Feb 10 10:08:40 2012 -0700
>
>     xfce: Drop quodlibet for now until we can sort out dep issues.

How about replacing quodlibet with pragha?

I know pragha is not as powerful as quodlibet, e.g. it doesn't do
internet radio or and come with a standalone tagging application, but
there are some things I like about it:
      * It's written in C and has a very lightweight memory footprint
        (much unlike quodlibet, which is written in python).
      * It's using GStreamer now, so it can be easily extended with
        other codecs.
      * It perfectly integrated with Xfce: Take a look at the settings
        dialog and you'll see what I mean. It now even builds against
        exo and supports saving playlists with the Xfce session.
      * It supports hotkeys out of the box, we could drop the patches we
        have for quodlibet in libxfceui4.
      * It just reached 1.0.

What do you guys think? Is it mature enough? Can it compete with
quodlibet

Regards,
Christoph