yum update doesn't

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 22:01:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:03:45 -0700, Ken Dreyer wrote:
	[....]
>> Running Transaction Check ERROR with transaction check vs depsolve:
>> kernel-uname-r = 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.PAE is needed by (installed)
>> kmod-nvidia-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686.PAE-1:280.13-2.fc14.6.i686
>
> The problem here is that the version numbers between the new kernel and
> the available "kmod-nvidia" package do not match up, so you're unable to
> update. It's possible that you may need to install newer
> rpmfusion-*-release packages.
>
> The Fedora Xfce user list is not the best place to discuss that problem,
> and it would be better to ask about it on the RPM Fusion user list. If
> you do post again, please also describe what has happened prior to
> running "yum update", as you appear to be running an F14 kernel, but
> pulling down F16 packages.
	[....]
> Some of these packages have really old dist tags (fc12, fc13), so I'm
> not sure what's happening here.

	I tried various things that failed, and finally tried "yum
remove" against all the packages in the error message that had
"installed" after them. After that, "yum update" reported success and
completion.

	I had done two things. Before my brain was in gear, I had
commanded "yum update" -- running on a live CD. Also, I think after that,
I did preupgrade.

	The machine did run during all this, and took most other commands
as it usually had -- except just for updating.

	Many thanks to both who replied!