gvfs-smb

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:44:07 UTC 2012

> Hi Sergio,
> Just curious - what does SMB have to do with being a portable system?

Because some people use it and some don't.

> SMB is used to share files to/from Windows systems (primarily). I
> literally couldn't do my job if I couldn't hit windows shares - it's a
> huge deal for me (and my co-worker who is thinking of switching to
> Fedora).
> Sure the package could be installed, but he was ready to give up on
> Fedora because he couldn't hit shares, nor could he figure out what
> package should be installed.

That's why Fedora isn't for first-time users. If he had a minimal
experience he would search for samba and could install and run even from
the live-CD.

Now, that's not saying it shouldn't be shipped in the spin. I don't use
it but if people think it should be shipped, like because it's small and
useful, then fine for me.