gvfs-smb

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:53:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Sergio <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Sergio,
>> Just curious - what does SMB have to do with being a portable system?
>

> Because some people use it and some don't.
>

>> SMB is used to share files to/from Windows systems (primarily). I
>> literally couldn't do my job if I couldn't hit windows shares - it's a
>> huge deal for me (and my co-worker who is thinking of switching to
>> Fedora).
>> Sure the package could be installed, but he was ready to give up on
>> Fedora because he couldn't hit shares, nor could he figure out what
>> package should be installed.
>>

> That's why Fedora isn't for first-time users. If he had a minimal experience
> he would search for samba and could install and run even from the live-CD.
>

> Now, that's not saying it shouldn't be shipped in the spin. I don't use it
> but if people think it should be shipped, like because it's small and
> useful, then fine for me.

Fedora isn't for first time users? I strongly disagree here. Fedora
surely *can* be for first time users!
He started with Mint, but wants to use Fedora for some of these reasons:

I use it (I'm the "Linux guy")
We use CentOS on all of our (growing number of) Linux servers
I've explained to him how Red Hat (and as a result Fedora) contribute
heavily upstream and innovate technologies that go into other Linux
distros.

My company was previously 100% Microsoft, and I'm trying to educate
folks on the beauty of open source. I'm new back to Fedora myself, but
I chose to come back for many of these same reasons. We started
implementing Linux servers over time, and now I'm finally showing
folks that we can use Linux on the desktop. I would hate to shun a new
or potential new Fedora use because it isn't for "First time users",
because there is no reason it shouldn't be.

I see the ability to hit samba shares as basic functionality that
every other Linux distro I've ever used has had out of the box
(including the Fedora GNOME and KDE spins).

Sorry if I'm missing something here.
--
-jayson