gvfs-smb

Christoph Wickert cwickert at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 6 12:53:12 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, den 05.07.2012, 07:44 -0400 schrieb Jayson Rowe:

> can I ask why no SMB?

Hi Jayson,

there are a couple of reasons:
     1. Space on the ISO is limited. It's not only gvfs but also
        libsmbclient.
     2. SMB is a compatibility layer for Windows and Windows is unfree.
     3. Many people don't use it. I haven't used samba in ages.

> The person I mention who
> is evaluating Fedora saw not having it by default as a huge wart, and
> I could see others coming to the same conclusion.

It's easier for people who need it to install an additional package than
for all the others to remove it.

So the question become: Does the majority of our users need it?

Kind regards,
Christoph