gvfs-smb

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 13:03:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Christoph Wickert
<cwickert at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 05.07.2012, 07:44 -0400 schrieb Jayson Rowe:
>>
>> can I ask why no SMB?
>
> Hi Jayson,
>
> there are a couple of reasons:
>      1. Space on the ISO is limited. It's not only gvfs but also
>         libsmbclient.

So, with the two packages combined, we are talking...what 1.5MB of space?

>      2. SMB is a compatibility layer for Windows and Windows is unfree.

But the comparability layers are free.

>      3. Many people don't use it. I haven't used samba in ages.

Many people DO use it...I've used it 3 times in the 1.5hrs I've been at work.

> It's easier for people who need it to install an additional package than
> for all the others to remove it.
>
> So the question become: Does the majority of our users need it?
I guess the part I'm having the hardest time understanding, is why we
don't have it in the Xfce spin when both the GNOME and KDE spins have
it. SMB is a common file sharing protocol that is used by many people
every day. I wonder how many who install the default Fedora-Desktop
spin go and remove SMB support. Probably none.

--
-jayson