gvfs-smb

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 18:03:07 UTC 2012

Sorry for going off-topic.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's why Fedora isn't for first-time users. If he had a minimal experience
>> he would search for samba and could install and run even from the live-CD.
>>
> Fedora isn't for first time users? I strongly disagree here. Fedora
> surely *can* be for first time users!

Unless you like to tinker, it is not. Fedora is way too bleeding edge
for most people, it breaks quite often. And the biggest problem for a
new user is to deal with the 6 month release cycle where one release to
the next changes can be very significant.

Some examples from history:
1. introduction of SELinux
2. introduction of pulseaudio
3. version change: KDE 3 -> 4
4. introduction of systemd
5. version change: Gnome 2 -> 3

That said, it is a great distro and I wouldn't use anything else, but
then I'm a person who compiles the latest HEAD of my bread-and-butter
editor (Emacs) or runs Firefox minefield.

> He started with Mint, but wants to use Fedora for some of these reasons:

Which is a great distro to for almost every kind of user. I think Mint
should be the benchmark for user friendliness. It's only "flaw" is, it
is based on Ubuntu (hence not bleeding edge enough ;)).

--
Suvayu