gvfs-smb

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:25:22 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, den 07.07.2012, 12:41 +0100 schrieb Ron Leach:
> I'd
> always wondered why the system wouldn't see Windows shares, though.  I
> actually hadn't realised there needed to be another program installed.
>
> It would have helped us, at the start, if it had been in.

Not really. Please note that seeing the shares or browsing the network
is something different than connecting to a share. Even if you cannot
browse the LAN, you can still connect to a share or a host if you know
it's name.

Browsing requires a master browser. This usually is a Windows server and
if there is no server but only client OSes like XP, Vista or Windows 8
(not Windows 8 Server), they assign the master on a random base. This is
very unreliable, even for Windows, so you better set up Samba as the
master browser.

Long story short: Adding the package will not magically make all Windows
network functionality work, you still need to configure and start samba
to get the whole thing.

Best regards,
Christoph