FC17 XFCE Spin: what DM?

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:40:01 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 10:31 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FC16 XFCE spin has been released with XFCE environment but GDM DM.
>
> There was a time where LightDM was not really usable in Fedora because
> of code issues:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/xfce/2011-May/000519.html
>
> As far as I read, it's packaged now and seems to be usable:
> http://pkgs.org/fedora-17/fedora-updates-x86_64/lightdm-gtk-1.1.6-3.fc17.x86_64.rpm.html
>

> Those who used FC17 XFCE spin: what's the situation? Is it working OOTB?

Lightdm 1.2.2-15 here (and gtk greeter 1.1.6-3), working fine.
I found some little issues, like if you have an open session in a
console terminal and try to shutdown from the lightdm greeter it will
just get stuck there (instead of giving a warning and an option to cancel).
Also it sorts the users and session alphabetically (first capitals then
small case) and apparently we can't define a default user/session (it
always boots selected with the first on the list for both user and session).

Also xguest (testing package without dependency on gdm) didn't work when
I tried but it might be that it just doesn't work if not with GNOME (I
have limited space to test all alternatives but the xguest creator said
he would have a look on that).