FC17 XFCE Spin: what DM?

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:48:33 UTC 2012

On 07/16/2012 08:45 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

>> Lightdm 1.2.2-15 here (and gtk greeter 1.1.6-3), working fine.
>> I found some little issues, like if you have an open session in a
>> console terminal and try to shutdown from the lightdm greeter it will
>> just get stuck there (instead of giving a warning and an option to
>> cancel). Also it sorts the users and session alphabetically (first
>> capitals then small case) and apparently we can't define a default
>> user/session (it always boots selected with the first on the list for
>> both user and session).
>
> I wonder if that will be a stopper for us with the live media. I guess
> not, since liveuser should be the only one showing up there hopefully.
>
>> Also xguest (testing package without dependency on gdm) didn't work
>> when I tried but it might be that it just doesn't work if not with
>> GNOME (I have limited space to test all alternatives but the xguest
>> creator said he would have a look on that).
>
> Yeah, it will likely take time to work all the bugs out. ;(

I wonder if we shouldn't use 1.3.2 instead.
I know it's the development version, but that's where the bugs are
worked on, right?
Also another day I peeked at its bug reports and it seemed to me that
Ubuntu uses this branch.

IIRC, in lightdm.conf there are options for both default user and guest
account and they are marked as unimplemented.
But from my reading of bug reports it seems Ubuntu has that guest
account integrated with lightdm.
Ideally, in my imagination (which is just that), lightdm's guest account
management would be integrated with (a working) xguest so the user
could, for instance, choose to show/hide the guest user from the greeter.