Non-flattering review of Fedora XFCE

Charlie Kravetz charlie.kravetz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 02:04:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just saw this: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-17-xfce.html
>
> Now, it's not a great review - he recycled a home directory from
> Xubuntu, so not sure why he made it a point to show off the
> funkalicious configuration that occurred as a result, but when it
> comes to the part after "Live Session and Installation", I can't say I
> totally disagree with him on all points.
>
> There really isn't anything 'polished' looking about the default
> setup. I know I'm new here, and I have no clue how the default look of
> the spin came to be, but I can't help but wonder - has any thought
> ever been given to spiffing things up a little? Even if everyone
> involved with the spin *loves* the Nodoka+Adwaita combination, I think
> two small changes would make for a better first impression:
>
> * Using the Fedora branded xfce4_xicon1 by default on the Applications Menu
> * Setting the Clock and Notification Area to have 'no borders'
>
> Honestly, I could care less about anything else the review said - most
> of it seemed to be him rambling on about Fedora not having proprietary
> codecs and such, but I *can* see how a new user might find the default
> presentation a little un-polished.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> --
> -jayson
> ______________________________

Having used Xubuntu for 6 years, I found the default desktop background of
fireworks to be exciting. It really showed up bright and colorful on my LCD
monitor. From the no contrast, blue and gray of Xubuntu to the colorful
theme of Fedora XFCE was a welcome change. I did bring some of my old
configuration forward, but I did not allow it during the installation.
Instead, I carefully copied my panel configurations and Orage Global Clock
after installing.

Perhaps down the road, I will find fault with Fedora, but for an initial
installation, I was quite happy with it.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Registered Linux User # 425914
charlie.kravetz at gmail.com