How can we improve the spin?

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:13:00 UTC 2012

Hi, Jayson.
I think Fedora currently ships the upstream Xfce layout. That doesn't
mean that it can't be improved. For instance, the Xfce menu isn't the
upstream menu as it adds an 'Administration' category and eliminates
duplicities (I use this menu when I install Xfce 4.10; the latter has
the upstream original menu).
I think that your suggested modifications look nicer (
http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/xfce_screenshots/f17_alt_a.png
), although the xfwm theme that comes with the spin is nice too.
Personally, I think that Adwaita is a good GTK theme to use on the spin
if only because it's from GNOME and so it works properly (GTK3 up to now
keeps braking themes). I don't use it, I use MediterraneanNight (from
gnome-look.org ) because it has options for window background that ain't
white.
I also think that the panel width should be kept as it is; 24px can be
small for some people. The second panel is also there so people are
inspired to play with the panel capabilities. I use it for launchers in
auto-hiding mode (try using a 1024x768 screen like me).
Once I wrote to Christoph Wickert about adding a matching icon theme for
Claws mail but it must be packaged, so there's this limitation too.

Personally I think the spin is very good. It's lightweight and brings
only what one needs to start (more on this below).
I don't think the looks is that important. If the default look was so
bad we would report a bug upstream so they would fix it.

The most important thing I see now is to replace GDM and whatever GNOME
stuff that ain't strictly necessary for the system (like NetworkManager,
which works well and should be kept, IMO).

Ideally I think that there could be separate spins with and without
Asian languages/input methods support. That's the only thing that's
bloat for one that uses only the Latin alphabet.