How can we improve the spin?

Jayson Rowe jayson.rowe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 15:39:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jayson,
>
> thanks for your elaborate mail. I wanted to get back to you already over
> the "Non-flattering review of Fedora XFCE", but this mail just became
> too long and I never finished it.
>
> This time I'll only reply to some parts and skip the rest.
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 27.06.2012, 23:44 -0400 schrieb Jayson Rowe:
>> a) many aspects of panel layout/themes are very much personal preference
>>
>> ---and---
>>
>> b) sadly, every Xfce 'spin' I tried felt at least somewhat more
>> polished than Fedora's out-of-the box presentation in one way or
>> another...
>
> I think we had some very good releases, like F14, that really impressed
> some Xfce developers. Unfortunately we could not hold up the high
> standard for 2 reasons:
>     1. GNOME and GTK 3 and it's fallout on us
>     2. We were too busy to care about Xfce.
>
> There are definitely some bugs and annoyances in the F17 Xfce spin that
> we should have caught with better QA, but both Kevin and me were just
> too busy with our dayjobs.
>
>> Xubuntu: http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/xfce_screenshots/xubuntu_12_04.png
>>
>> So - looks nice. Greybird is my favorite theme.
>
> Greybird is a nice theme and Simon is a pretty good artist. He can
> completely focus on artwork. On the other hand we don't have a real
> artist in the Xfce SIG, at least nobody who is active.
>
> There are two things I hate about Greybird though:
>     1. The dark menu and panels. Windows 7 started the trend and now
>        everybody tries to mimic it.
>     2. The window decorations use the window content color and as this
>        one is the same for all windows, it is hard to see which window
>        actually has the focus. Only the window title is different. This
>        is annoying, because a small popup can 'steal' the focus and
>        it's not visible at a glance.
>
> While the first is a matter of personal taste, the second is a usability
> issue.
>
>> The Icons look nice, all of the icons in
>> the system tray match, everything looks smooth, integrated and blends
>> together.
>
> As the icons in the system tray are provided by the appications, we have
> no control over them. E.g. gnome-bluetooth hardcodes the icon name to
> the monochrome 'symbolic' theme and there is nothing we can do about it.
> blueman is IHMO no alternative as it tends to break with ever new
> release of NetworkManager.
>
>> Sabayon 9: http://jaysonr.fedorapeople.org/pictures/xfce_screenshots/sabayon_9.png
>> [...]
>> A 2 panel layout that could easily appeal to GNOME2 refugees, but
>> still different from a GNOME2 layout.
>
> If we change the layout, the one thing I don't want is a GNOME 2
> lookalike panel. Xfce is a desktop of it's own and not a shelter for
> GNOME refugees.
>
>> openSUSE 12.2 (Beta):
>> [...]
>> The mixer applet on the panel (Gmixer) doesn't seem to be in our
> [...]

Thanks for getting back to me Christoph, these are exactly the types
of answers/explanations I was looking for.

Yes I do care about Xfce in Fedora. If there is anything I can
do/learn to help make things better, I'm all ears. As for Greybird, I
wasn't trying to suggest it as default, in fact, I'm still torn on it
myself for day to day use - the Window controls for me, like you said
the Window decorations are a usability issue, and border on 'bug' with
me. I have grown to quite like the decoration listed as 'default' in
the in the appearance settings. It's nice, clean and simple and looks
nice with Adwaita.

I also didn't realize that about the Fedora logo on the application menu.

Thanks again for your feedback, and I'm here to help in any way I can.

--
-jayson