How can we improve the spin?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 22:35:22 UTC 2012

Am Freitag, den 29.06.2012, 16:43 -0600 schrieb Ken Dreyer:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:>
> >> The Icons look nice, all of the icons in
> >> the system tray match, everything looks smooth, integrated and blends
> >> together.
> >
> > As the icons in the system tray are provided by the appications, we have
> > no control over them. E.g. gnome-bluetooth hardcodes the icon name to
> > the monochrome 'symbolic' theme and there is nothing we can do about it.
>
> I see what you mean about gnome-bluetooth hardcoding
> g_themed_icon_new_with_default_fallbacks
> (ACTIVE_ICON_NAME"-symbolic"). So is this a bug that can be fixed
> (upstream)?

I'm not sure if it makes sense, I'm afraid they won't give a fsck.

IHMO no icon should have -symbolic in it's name but only use names that
conform to the freedesktop.org icon naming spec. IN order to still get
the monochrome icons, one would just
      * create a gnome-icon-theme-symblic theme
      * rename the *-symbolic icons and put them into this theme
      * let it inherit gnome-icon-theme over it's index.theme.

GTK would prefer then monochrome icons over regular ones with the same
name. This will not only bring compatibility with other icon themes but
also give user a chance to use the regular or monochrome icons in GNOME.

Feel free to file a bug and suggest this approach, but don't expect too
much. FWIW GNOME developers only care about interoperability if it
benefits them. If not, or if they have to change something, they don't
care about freedesktop guidelines any longer - even if they were the
ones who wrote them.

Kind regards,
Christoph