How can we improve the spin?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 23:48:49 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, den 30.06.2012, 20:38 -0300 schrieb Sergio:
> Howdy.
> Is this part
> "* Don't change stuff that is not yours. I know that Xubuntu did
>          this in the past when they had a stripped down gnome-session
>          package that was different from the one in Ubuntu."
> that prevents using fedora-logo-icon in place of xfce-panel-menu icon

Yes, that was the problem, but after looking into this a little deepeer,
I found a way to at least provide the Fedora logo in some themes (e.g.
the Fedora one, which counts as 'ours' so we change it. See my other
mail at this for details.

Please don't get me wrong, I think my initial statement sounded too
strict. Basically we can change anything -  as long as we have a
seamless, reasonable fallback. That means we must not change something.

> (or 'computer' in lightdm, for that matter)?

Yes, this is one of the plaecs where we cannot easily replace the logo,
because it's hard to provide an automatic fallback. I mean, we *could*
change the GTK theme that the greeter uses and then install the Fedora
logo as 'computer' in that theme, but I'm afraid we'll screw a lot of
other icons up then.

Need to investigate that, but for now I am happy it's a generic icon
such as 'computer'. When I started packaging LightDM, the icon name was
hardcoded as 'ubuntu.png' in the source code. Yes, really.

Beste regards,
Christoph