aplay, vlc, Xfce launcher conflict

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:05:35 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Scientific Linux 6.2 x64
Xfce 4.8

I have a weird problem since upgrading from SL 6.1 to
SL 6.2

If I have VLC open and playing music, when starting the following line
from an icon in a panel 2 launcher, the line hangs at the aplay statement
(no ding):

    sh -c  "/usr/bin/aplay -q /home/linuxutil/KDE_Notify.wav;
/usr/bin/wine "/home/tony/.wine/drive_c/lotus/123/123w.exe""

If I press "stop" on VLC, I here the aplay ding, and the command
continues and completes as it should.  Then I can restart my music.

Weird though: I can run the above from a command prompt and
it dings right on top of VLC (no hang) and the command completes
as it should.

Confused,
-T