OT: Display not found

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 02:19:34 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 07:18 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
> <toddandmargo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> For the life of me, I can not get epel's kmod-nvidia drivers to work.
>> I get "display not found".  I have posted the error logs and details
>> of my system over on (it is pretty long, so I did not want to duplicate
>> it here):
>> http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=1477&st=0#entry10211
> Hi Todd,
> ELRepo is a separate project from EPEL. These NVidia packages have
> ELRepo in the name, so they come from ELRepo. You might try the ELRepo
> mailing lists. http://lists.elrepo.org/mailman/listinfo/elrepo
> - Ken

Thank you Ken.  Your tip lead me to someone who knew how to help.

Phil over on the ELRepo mailing list helped me solve this.

The post install scripts were not recreating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

   AFTER installing the drivers (they will rename xorg.conf on you), run:

ln -s /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and reboot.

Thanks to all that helped me on this!