OT: Display not found

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 02:19:34 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 07:18 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
> <toddandmargo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> For the life of me, I can not get epel's kmod-nvidia drivers to work.
>> I get "display not found".  I have posted the error logs and details
>> of my system over on (it is pretty long, so I did not want to duplicate
>> it here):
>>
>> http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=1477&st=0#entry10211
>
> Hi Todd,
>
> ELRepo is a separate project from EPEL. These NVidia packages have
> ELRepo in the name, so they come from ELRepo. You might try the ELRepo
> mailing lists. http://lists.elrepo.org/mailman/listinfo/elrepo
>
> - Ken

Thank you Ken.  Your tip lead me to someone who knew how to help.

Solved:

Phil over on the ELRepo mailing list helped me solve this.

The post install scripts were not recreating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Solution:

   AFTER installing the drivers (they will rename xorg.conf on you), run:

ln -s /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and reboot.

Thanks to all that helped me on this!

-T