Xfce 4.10 - Default browser ignored on help

Jim Dean jdean55 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 05:48:54 UTC 2012

On 27 May 2012 06:22, Sergio Cipolla <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 May 2012 20:08, Jim Dean <jdean55 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 25 May 2012 18:07, Christoph Wickert <
> christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Please show me the content of
> >> ~/.local/share/applications/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Christoph
> >>
> > Sorry Christoph
> >
> > Don't have
> >>
> >> ~/.local/share/applications/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
> >>  but I do have
> >
> >  ~/.local/share/xfce4/helpers/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
> > It contains
> >
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > NoDisplay=true
> > Version=1.0
> > Encoding=UTF-8
> > Type=X-XFCE-Helper
> > X-XFCE-Category=WebBrowser
> > X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=/usr/bin/google-chrome "%s"
> > Icon=google-chrome
> > Name=google-chrome
> > X-XFCE-Commands=/usr/bin/google-chrome
> >
> > Creating a
> > ~/.local/share/applications/custom-WebBrowser.desktop
> > with the same content doesn't change anything (unless I should have
> logged
> > out and back in first).
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jim
> >>

> Jim, what happens if you open the 'Preferred Applications' and choose
> 'Chomium'?
> (setting Chrome as the default from within the browser doesn't work
> properly as Xfce doesn't ship a helper for it and instead include it
> in the 'Chromium' helper)

I tried changing the setting to Chromium, which I don't have, and then
Midori which is installed. In both cases it open help in Firefox.

I'll try installing Chromium and try again if anyone thinks it is worth
testing. Won't be for a day or 2 though.

This isn't an important problem just thought I'd report it. It happens on 2
systems with different configurations so I don't think it is a config issue
but I might try testing with a new user too.