oversize on f18 again. ;)

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:02:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Martin Sourada
<martin.sourada at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ah, yes, I would also be for keeping the packagekit related stuff in.
> True, PK looks a bit strange in a xfce environment but the "install
> missing codecs", "install detected printer's driver" and "click to
> install" are rather useful features... I cannot say anything about the
> main interface though -- I never liked yumex (but it's a couple of years
> since I last tried it) and PK also never grew on me -- looks like I'm
> stuck on command line yum forever, so I'm not very fit to give opinions
> on gui package managers.
>
> Martin

Martin, I am always open to suggestion to how to improve yumex, maybe your
should try the current version, and let me know what you don't and how to
improve it.

click to install has recently been implemented in yumex.
install missing codecs is not very useful, because most of it exists
outside fedora (rpmfusion), so most people has to go to rpmfusion.org to
install the repos, so they also
enter the one line yum command to install all the need gstreamer codecs. It
is not something you do every day.

next mayor released will be using a yum based dbus daemon, there will make
it much simpler to use for 3. party application to performing packaging
action and is designed with simplicity in mind and not over engineered as
PackageKit, there is trying to support every package engine there exists.

Tim