Is xfce4-mixer detecting the default audio card (pulseaudio) in F18?

Sergio Cipolla secipolla at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:06:43 UTC 2012

On 13 November 2012 19:40, Sergio <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2012 07:24 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sergio,
>>

>> On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 18:25:44 -0200
>> Sergio wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> xfce4-mixer 4.10 wasn't giving me a choice to use the 'default' card
>>> (pulseaudio). It used to in F17.
>>> I even downgraded to v. 4.8 but it just shows the alsa card.
>>> Of course even alsamixer shows the default pulseaudio card and
>>> pnmixer too.
>>>
>> It never had the option to use 'default' card as long as I remember.
>

> I'm sure it had (not that it was a reliable thing, as for you it already
> didn't give that option). Even xfce4-mixer itself could choose between both
> (just like alsamixer).
> Yesterday I was messing with my Xfce settings when after deleting some stuff
> I tried to reset the mixer applet to use the 'default' and it just showed
> the internal card.
> IDK if it's a gstreamer thing or whatever. I did remove some unused
> gstreamer packages I had after upgrading from F17 to F18 but they were just
> plugins, I think.
> Anyway, I'm using pnmixer.

Here's Beta TC9 Xfce spin live-cd in the same machine:
http://www.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-11162012-021015pm.php

Then I copied xfce4-mixer.xml and xfce4-panel.xml to my installed
system (after clearing the session JIC) but when opened they rewrote
the configs without the pulseaudio options (all three).

I compared ~/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.i686.bin on the live-cd and in
my installed F18.
The first is 567K big and the latter is 97K big.

As I said before I removed all un-needed gstreamer packages here and I
suspect maybe one of them is required by xfce4-mixer to see
pulseaudio. But it could be some upgrade that broke it too as the spin
has pretty old packages (for F18).

Unfortunately I forgot to list all gstreamer packages shipped with the live-cd.

Switching topic, as seen on the linked screen-shot the partitions are
listed twice on the desktop. The bug report I opened for that back in
TC2 or TC3 was closed because fixed IIRC in udisks2. Can't the udisks2
package (and maybe gvfs and maybe all the rest?) be updated on the
spin? lightdm has been, right?