Icons in Xfce Menu

Marcus Moeller marcus.moeller at gmx.ch
Sat Oct 6 14:43:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,

>> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:33:28 -0600
>> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
>> To: xfce at lists.fedoraproject.org
>> Subject: Re: Icons in Xfce Menu
>>
>> Yeah, sorry I missed this thread.
>>
>> It's default that way in 4.10.
>>
>> I think to allow menus to map faster...
>>
>> Do people feel strongly about changing the default?
>> Adding icons it will make the menus slower and use more memory.
>>
>> I personally don't feel too strongly about it one way or the other,
>> but tend to just want to follow upstream where sensible. ;)

Disabling the icons in the menu does not really make it load faster,
even on low-spec machines (I have tried that on an old single-core Atom).

Icons are a good help for finding items in menus. I most often refer to
menu position and icon when I am opening menu entries I already know.

For someone who does not know what a program name means, icons are also
a good orientation.

I agree with you that following upstream is a good idea in general, but
not in this case. This is a position I share with nearly all other Xfce
Distros that ship 4.10. I personally know not one which disables icons
in menus.

Greets
Marcus