heads up about f18+ and lid/power buttons

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Oct 21 18:24:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:20:17 -0200
Sergio <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know the people who are going to take care of this will define the
> approach but nowadays (in Fedora 17) there is acpid that can take
> care of these power related button presses.

It only handles the power button itself... and only if systemd is
inhibited.

> It checks if gnome or xfce4 power-manager are running and if so it
> disables itself.

It does, but systemd is at a lower level, so this doesn't help any.

systemd starts up on boot and takes control of all the power management
that it's defined to in /etc/systemd/logind.conf

Unless it's inhibited later it will always handle those events.

I suppose acpid could be adjusted to inhibit systemd when it's
installed, but it also doesn't handle suspend, hibernate or lid.

I think the best option here is for xfce4-power-manager to inhibit
systemd when it's running and handle all those events as the user
wishes. Unfortunately, that requires upstream code.

kevin