heads up about f18+ and lid/power buttons

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Oct 23 20:58:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:38:51 +0200
Raphael Groner <raphgro at web.de> wrote:

> As written already:
> Maybe it's better to disable systemd's power management for the Xfce
> spin, till all that issues are fixed for sure.

Yeah, the only way we could easily do this is by modifying
xfce4-session into starting Xfce with 'systemd-inhibit ....'

> Look into /etc/systemd/logind.conf, propably a working solution so far
> for the Xfce Live CD. On installed systems, the user should be able to
> decide what component is allowed to handle power management, it can go
> well with a disabled systemd component in case of xfce4-power-manager,
> or in doubt then vice-versa.

We can't modify default configs of other packages.
Well, we could in the spin, but that would leave anyone installing from
the dvd or the repos after install hosed, so I think it's not a good
idea.

> I wonder if that can be an upstream solution for the long run, and
> what other distribution with usage of systemd as a replacement for
> init would do about this issue here.

Yeah, the long term is to get xfce4-power-manager able to inhibt
systemd if it's running on a system using it.

kevin