saving space on the Xfce Spin

tim.lauridsen at gmail.com tim.lauridsen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 12:28:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:01:50 +0100
> Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag, den 28.10.2012, 13:15 +0100 schrieb Raphael Groner:
> > > I think, we can't get completely rid of webkit.
> > >
> > > Further, there's Fancy HTML Viewer:
> > > "This [claws-mail] plugin renders HTML mail using the WebKit 1.8.1
> > > library."
> >
> > We are not shipping claws-mail-plugins-fancy in the Xfce spin.
> >
> > > So IMHO better remove all XULRunner related stuff. :p
> > >
> > > To be honest, I don't know anybody that still prefers Firefox over
> > > Chromium.
> >
> > I do. As soon as you have a lot of tabs oben, Chronium uses way more
> > resources because it spawns a new instance of the browser for every tab.
> >
> > > Though, Chromium would be too much overkill for a live cd
> > > that's called Xfce. That's only as a side note, I wouldn't bring in
> > > Chromium in this saving space discussion.
> >
> > Chronium will never get into Fedora unless Google stops forking all
> > random libraries. See http://spot.livejournal.com/312320.html
> >
> > >  Midori is good for most of
> > > the common web pages, I know about a few pages where it sucks, but no
> > > matter in our case.
> >
> > It still does not handle certificate based authentication, which IHMO is
> > a bigger problem than any random website looking ugly.
> >
> > But I really think we should remove one browser. I don't really care
> > which one, let the majority decide.
> >
> > And we could remove some themes. Currently we are shipping 4 complete
> > themes: adwaita, albatross, bluebird and greybird. IHMO this is too
> > much.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Christoph
> >

> Why not take themes down to the primary installed theme, and if needed,
> add in help where to get more? Most users accept the default
> configuration anyway, as I recall.
>
> --
> Charlie Kravetz
> Linux Registered User Number 425914          [http://counter.li.org/]
> Never let anyone steal your DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]

These themes don't look to take a lot of space, but it don't make much
sense to include a lot of theme on a live CD
But what theme to include is a matter personal taste and if you want to
have the samme look and feel in the application as in gnome3 (adwaita) or
you want a special look for
the Xfce Live-spin, bluebird would be a good choice for that and it is
designed to work with Xfce, where adwaita is designed for gnome3, I don't
know what kind of love the gtk2 adwaita theme will get in the future, when
gnome3 focus diehard on gtk3.

Tim