About the F18 spin and how to solve issues.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Sep 26 19:42:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:20:36 -0300
Sergio Cipolla <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Fedora Xfce community.
>
> First a question: is there someone directly responsible for the Xfce
> spin? Or we shape it by reporting bugs to its components?

Both. There's a group of people who have commit to the spin's kickstart
file. They usually make changes on it based on discussion here or in
bugs.

> Last ISO I tried was the nightly build from Sep 21st. I'm not on it
> now as my system (single-core, 1GB RAM) struggles with it when I use
> it for a while.
> I would like to know tips on how to disable some stuff so it loads
> lighter (I think I'll try selinux) and also boot 'fromiso' (it works
> differently than F17 so the old way doesn't work and boot from USB
> isn't an option for me as USB 1.1 is just as slow as a CD, maybe
> slower). I'll ask on the test list later anyway for those tips.

Yeah, not sure what it would be off hand. I doubt disabling selinux
will help much. If you come up with something, let us know. ;)

> Now to the issue of appearance, specially icons.
> Package libXcursor (required in F17 by xfce4-settings and gtk2/3)
> installs /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme:
>
> [Icon Theme]
> Inherits=Adwaita
>
> This looks like a bug.
> It points to Adwaita, but Adwaita doesn't point only to a cursor
> theme, instead it defines GTK, Metacity, icon (calls 'gnome') and
> cursor themes.
> /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/index.theme:
>
> {snip}
> GtkTheme=Adwaita
> MetacityTheme=Adwaita
> IconTheme=gnome
> CursorTheme=Adwaita
> CursorSize=24
>
> Problem, in the live-CD this overrides whatever settings in Xfce. Even
> if cursor theme was set to 'Bluebird', GTK theme for something else
> than 'Adwaita' and icon theme for something else than 'gnome'
> (actually it's set to 'Rodent'), it would load Adwaita GTK/cursor and
> gnome icons, as it does now.

Yeah, please file a bug on it?

> So this is the first issue that needs to be addressed. Either
> libXcursor uses an alternative system (so each spin uses its choice of
> theme) or it calls a desktop-agnostic theme, like 'Fedora' (which
> would need a fix to call a cursor theme and maybe a GTK theme).
> If Adwaita is to be the default Fedora theme then it must be fixed to
> comply with Xfce too.
> This means mostly that 'gnome' icon theme would need some improvements
> or Adwaita should call 'Fedora' icon theme instead.

Feel free to propose that to the Adwaita maintainers.

> The main icon missing for Xfce (in 'gnome' - thus 'Mist', thus
> 'Fedora' -, 'Tango' and 'Rodent') is system-suspend (see
> http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=25811#p25811 ), the 'Suspend'
> icon in the 'Actions' panel plugin. But a proper icon theme should
> have system-hibernate too (currently xfce4-session uses a workaround
> for this lack, shipping its own icons for the logout dialogue).

Upstream Xfce doesn't really care about icons much. ;(
It's up to us to do the best we can.

> Besides that we have a particular issue with the Xfce choice for
> icons. Currently it's set to use 'Rodent' (package
> xfce4-icon-theme-0:4.4.3-7.fc18).

That shouldn't be the default... is it? or did you change to it?

kevin