Fedora release cycle -- F18 January 2013?

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:12:15 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/22/2013 4:09 PM, James Freer wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's actually been a long, ongoing discussion about it. You can look at
>>> Fedora meeting archives or on the devel list for details. The primary delay
>>> in this case is the landing of the re-written Anaconda installer.
>>>
>>> Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
>>
>> I wondered if that was the problem as folk seem to have trouble with
>> F18. Personally i've been thinking again about 6 month releases. There
>> simply doesn't seem to be the time for developers to sort of
>> problems.... why not an annual release. The bi-annual release of
>> *buntu LTS means in the 2nd year apps being out of date. The 6 month
>> release seems to mean a lot of hard work in a short space of time.
>

> I do not now, nor have I ever, looked at the number of people that have
> problems, and yes there are some, as a true representative number of a
> distributions users. The users that have true problems ask for help. Or
> rant.  :-)  While those of us that do not have problems do not write.
>
> My guess? The number of users without problems far exceeds the number
> that do.

David

> Now a personal request. Please. Please don't start the semiannual thread
> about the release schedule time period.   :-)

I wasn't attempting to start a 'semiannual debate' - i was merely
saying that the 6 month release clearly gives a heavy workload for
developers... an annual release would 'release' them! I think they
work extremely hard and are perhaps not fully appreciated with the
challenges they are faced with.

james