FC18 Xfce Live CD does not have gparted -- OH NO!!!

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 03:40:43 UTC 2013

On 03/02/2013 04:21 AM, Raphael Groner wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:30:26 -0800
>> From: Todd And Margo Chester <toddandmargo at gmail.com>
>> To: Fedora Xfce <xfce at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>> Subject: FC18 Xfce Live CD does not have gparted -- OH NO!!!
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
> Hi,
>
>> Oh No! FC18 XFCE live CD no longer has gparted. That is about 80% of
>> what I use it for.  What a disaster!
>
> Sad to read that. I wouldn't suggest a Fedora spin if you use only
> GParted, SCNR.

Not the only reason I use the disk.  Others include wiping out virus
infected boot sectors (dd), rescuing data from unbootable disks,
checking to see if hardware is malfunctioning, separate from the
installed OS, checking to see if source of malfunctions is hardware
or software related (as in is the network card bad or is Windows
at it again), and trying to talk folks into using Linux by letting
them use it on a temporary basis while we wait on parts or whatever.

And, my all time favorite, when I am doing work on a network and
don't feel like having to put up with some idiot OS that won't
give me the functionality I want.  (W8 drives me around the bend.
So I will boot to a live CD to set up a router, etc..)

> If you have an active connection to the web, just do that command in
> your running live environment:
>
> yum install gparted

Doesn't work when you don't have access to the network, which is
most of the time for what I do.  But the work around it to
carry gparted and gtkmm on a stick and install it locally:

#rpm -ivh gparted-0.12.0-4.fc18.x86_64.rpm gtkmm24-2.24.2-4.fc18.x86_64.rpm

>> Anyone know of an FC18 Xfce spin with gparted on it?  Any other spins?
>
> All Fedora spins are listed and can be downloaded:
>
> https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

> Suggestion: Use Parted Magic, another actively maintained and nearly
> monthly distributed live CD, but unfortunately without a connection to
> Fedora. Quite good for backup & recorvery tasks.
>
> http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=news

Works great.  Small foot print too.  Fired it up in one of my
virtual machines.  I will test it on my next C2xx chipset
motherboard I assemble (one is on the way).  Thank you.!

Be nice if I could get it all on one disk though.  Developers, please
consider putting gparted back on the live CD.

Many thanks,
-T