perl on xfce live

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed May 1 18:23:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:55:22 +0200
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 03:49:04PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >  foomatic           x86_64 4.0.9-1.fc19
> > @koji-override-0/$releasever 629 k icedtea-web        x86_64
> > 1.3.1-5.fc19      @koji-override-0/$releasever 881 k
>
> I think excluding the above two from the spin could make the spin less
> friendly to use out of the box.  Out of the box printing and complete
> java support in a browser are very basic needs on a modern desktop
> system.

So, it turns out we are over size in f19 again...

The java issue was fixed, so removing perl no longer removes java.

foomatic is still removed, but I am pretty sure system-config-printer
will install that for you if you need it.

I'll try and dig around for other things we could remove or fix in the
next few weeks, but if someone else wants to, please do.

Just boot a nightly live and look at:

rpm -qa --qf '%{size} %{name}\n' | sort -nr | head -100

and try 'yum remove package' and see what deps it pulls.

Currently the last nightly was:

792723456 (756M)

so, we need to remove/prune at least 60MB or so.

kevin