spins size changes

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat May 11 03:24:46 UTC 2013

Greetings.

We are coming up on Beta and thats when we start wanting to make sure
we hit our size target (700MB cd).

Beta-TC4 Xfce is at 756M

The issues around perl have been cleaned up, so removing perl only
removes the xfce4-sensors-plugin (and all the perl modules).

I went ahead and pushed a exo update to drop the perl update in it:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-7881/exo-0.10.2-3.fc19
karma very welcome. Hopefully we can push it stable before Beta freeze.

With that update and removing perl and xfce4-sensors saves us ~40MB or
so on the uncompressed image (likely less on the iso).

I also removed:

foomatic-db-ppds
foomatic
(only used by really old printers)

stix-fonts
ibus-typing-booster
(large and not needed)

Those should save another ~40MB uncompressed (less on iso).

Also, I did a:
rm -f /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/icon-theme.cache
which the desktop folks are already doing. This cache can be
regenerated easily and we aren't using that icon theme by default.
This saves ~105MB uncompressed.

So, hopefully with all these we will drop the ~56MB we need.

If not we will need to look at more savings.

kevin