Power manager issues (double wake up, etc.)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat May 18 17:32:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, 13 May 2013 23:37:27 +0200
Miro HronĨok <mhroncok at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> I'm using Fedora 18 64bit on Lenovo Thinpad X230. I have no idea,
> what's wrong, or whom to report this.
>
> Thanks for any help.

yeah, this whole area has been a mess of late. ;( Sorry.

I really hope we have it all a lot better in f19.

The f18 double suspend was something I saw here from time to time, but
could never track down. Some folks mentioned it was a systemd bug, but
I never could nail it down enough to report it. ;(

So, all the issues you note I think are in xfce4-power-manager and
systemd interaction. In f18, xfce4-power-manager didn't know anything
about systemd or talk to it really in any way, so if systemd was set to
handle those events, it just did and xfce4-power-manager didn't do
anything. Since you have told it not to do that, xfce4-power-manager
should be handling them, so it sounds like a bug there.

In f19 xfce4-power-manager now queries systemd correctly, so it can ask
systemd to suspend, or whatever. There's no longer any need to tweak
systemd settings, xfce4-power-manager inhibits where it needs to. Also
in f18 xfce4-power-manager used upower to do the suspend/hibernate, but
it no longer does that in f19, so it uses systemd instead.

So, I guess short term I can try and figure out whats going wrong with
xfce4-power-manager in f18... and perhaps you could try a f19 live
media and see if the problems persist there?

kevin