pyupdatesd: A Yum Updates Tray Icon for XFCE

Noah Petherbridge root at kirsle.net
Mon May 27 21:23:49 UTC 2013

@Heiko:

I just installed the Fedora 19 Alpha in VirtualBox, downloaded
pyupdatesd and then modified its configuration section to change the
"interval" from 900 seconds down to 10 (to get quicker feedback on
whether the script is working or not). It worked for me. After about 10
seconds from running the script, the tray icon and message appeared, and
clicking it brought me to the yumex GUI.

This script waits /at least/ until the interval is first reached (i.e.
15 minutes after the script is run, in the default configuration),
before it runs `yum check-update` to see if there are updates. When
there are, `yum check-update` exits with status 100, and that's how the
script knows when to show the icon and notification. If this isn't
working, can you try debugging it? Around this part of the code, you can
have it print the status and output of check-update:

         if int(time()) >= next_check:
             status, output = commands.getstatusoutput(c['check'])
             status = status >> 8

    +       print "status:", status
    +       print "output:", output

             # Updates?
             if status == 100:

Also the results of running, in bash: `yum check-update; echo $?`

@Frank:

Make sure you're running the script from within X11 (so that $DISPLAY is
set). I see that error message if I attempt to run the script from text
mode. ;) In my XFCE desktop, adding the script to my session startup
list works for me.

    $ cat ~/.config/autostart/Update\ Daemon.desktop
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=0.9.4
    Type=Application