My Xfce default session workaround

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Fri Oct 25 17:24:38 UTC 2013

Hi All,

   Scientific Linux 6.4, 64 bit.
   Xfce 4.8

   As I am running several KDE apps. (Krusader, Kompozer, K3B),
every so often after an update, I get booted up into KDE (sometimes
GNOME).  If happened again this morning.  Pain in the neck.

    As Red Hat is dragging the feet fixing the various GDM bugs
that cause this, I have developed my own work around in the
mean time.  If you are having the same issue, I hope this
helps you as well:

    1) log out of KDE or GNOME desktop.  If you are using
       Automatic log on, cancel it.

    2) open an alternate command prompt and log in as root
          <cltr><alt><f2>

    3) # cd /usr/share/xsessons

    4) move or rename all desktops, except Xfce's.  Note that
       KDE has two (kde-plasma.desktop kde-plasma-safe.desktop).
       You should look like this:

           # ls
           gnome.desktop.orig
           kde-plasma.desktop.orig
           kde-plasma-safe.desktop.orig
           xfce.desktop

       Note: I have been known to just delete the .desktops
             I don't want

    5) # reboot

-T