Xfce freeze ups

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:55:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:43:33 -0600
Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:46:14 -0700
> ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > First on the blue rat icon with the X Xfce pop up, where
> > is the version icon?  Why do I have to go to the command
> > line and RPM to figure out what version I am on?
> > The version icon should not be so obscured that it is not
> > instantly accessible.
>
> Version icon? I'm not sure what you mean...
>
> Put graphically into the icon "4.10" ?
>
> > $ rpm -qa xfce\*
> > xfce4-session-engines-4.8.1-4.el6.x86_64
> >
> > Okay, enough bitching (I just crashed and lost all
> > my work, so I am a bit crabby -- sorry).
> >
> > Is there FINALLY a new version of Xfce for Scientific
> > Linux 6.4 (RHEL 6.4 clone)?
>
> No.
>
> See:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2013-September/008716.html
Yes, since I'm quite used to 4.10 from fedora, I tried building it myself,
but gave up around the gir hell. Rebuilding glib2 is fine, but rebuilding
half of gtk2 stack because of gir is plain pain in the a.s. Would be nice
thought to raise that question again if rhel 6.5 sees an update to these
components, which I don't know (is there a release date yet for rhel 6.5?).

On that note, have I just missed it in the repos or are the places panel
plugin and keyboard switch plugin missing in epel? I got ibus working but it
can switch only between English and Japanese, but I also need an easy and
quick way to switch to and from Czech keyboard layout.

Thanks,
Martin

PS: Sorry for thread hijack, I'm kinda too tired to start a new one.