install to flash drive

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Mon Mar 31 21:45:05 UTC 2014

On 03/31/2014 02:14 PM, Mukundan Ragavan wrote:

> On 03/31/2014 04:08 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> On 03/30/2014 02:34 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have been playing with "Fedora Live USB Creator". I don't like
>>> the space limitations on the Live USB drive as I am always
>>> wanting to install more than will fit on /dev/vsd1
>>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, could I boot from the Xfce Live CD and
>>> install to a flash drive?
>>>
>>> Many thanks, -T
>>>

>> Oops.  That is /dev/vda1 not vsd1
>>

> As far as I know, if you boot from a CD, you should be able to install
> to an external USB drive. Should be possible, yes.

 From what the fedora people are telling me, it had
better to /dev/sda or it won't work.  If the local
hard drive(s) get your device, then you can't boot.

It might be better for me to stick with the Live USB
and figure out a way to expand /dev/vda1.  Seems
vda1 is limited to 3 GB.  Gparted doesn't find it
either.

And I goofed.  It is /dev/mapper/live-rw that is too
small.  vda1 has lot of room.

$ df -kPT
Filesystem          Type     1024-blocks    Used Available Capacity
Mounted on
/dev/mapper/live-rw ext4         3030800 2322644    660320      78% /

-T