Cannot set Xfce as default gui on Fedora 20 startup.

Rajesh Khan rajeshkhan808 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 23:18:02 UTC 2014

I installed Fedora 20 a while ago and now decided to install and test Xfce
ui.

I installed it using the command

sudo yum groups install "Xfce Desktop"

I then installed the switchdesktop utility using

sudo yum install switchdesk-gui

I configured switchdesktop to start with xfce and after saving i get the
message

Your desktop configuration has successfully been updated, but you must
restart the X Window System for the changes to take effect

I then restarted my system "sudo yum shutdown now" expecting the new xfce
gui to startup. However nothing happened and the usual gnome showed up.

I then logged in as su and did init 3

I then launched xfce from usr/bin/startxfce4 which did launch xfce.

Now how can I make my fedora 20 system start with xfce ?