Cannot set Xfce as default gui on Fedora 20 startup.

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Nov 15 23:27:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:18:02 -0700
Rajesh Khan <rajeshkhan808 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed Fedora 20 a while ago and now decided to install and test
> Xfce ui.
>
> I installed it using the command
>
> sudo yum groups install "Xfce Desktop"
>
> I then installed the switchdesktop utility using
>
> sudo yum install switchdesk-gui
>
> I configured switchdesktop to start with xfce and after saving i get
> the message
>
> Your desktop configuration has successfully been updated, but you must
> restart the X Window System for the changes to take effect
>
> I then restarted my system "sudo yum shutdown now" expecting the new
> xfce gui to startup. However nothing happened and the usual gnome
> showed up.
>
> I then logged in as su and did init 3
>
> I then launched xfce from usr/bin/startxfce4 which did launch xfce.
>
> Now how can I make my fedora 20 system start with xfce ?

switchdesk isn't really used anymore and should likely be retired.

You should just simply choose the Xfce session from your display
manager and it will remember thats what you choose.

So, if you are using gnome and gdm, select your user, then click on the
little session thing and choose Xfce and enter your password and login.
Then next time you choose your user it will default to that.

kevin