Live CD Request for Enhancement: Smarter Mail Client

Raphael Groner projects.rg at smart.ms
Fri Nov 21 17:59:03 UTC 2014

My suggestion is to replace claws-mail with a smarter mail client:
either Balsa or Geary
First benefit is to save same space in the image. Second, Geary and
Balsa are both based at gtk3 which should be the better hope instead of
enforcing gtk2.

% LC_ALL=C yum info geary |grep Size
Size        : 4.8 M
% LC_ALL=C yum info balsa |grep Size
Size        : 7.3 M
% LC_ALL=C yum info claws-mail |grep Size
Size        : 17 M

I assume it's not needed to ship all those great plugins for
claws-mail, and both geary as well balsa have great configuration
wizards open at the first start. Settings can be considered to be
vanishable in the sense of a live image, don't they?
Balsa is themable via gtk3 while Geary has a more modern design.
Both packages seem to be actively maintained. No idea about upstreams.

All in all, a live user should not be expected to see as many feature
as possible with an image that has a feature to limit in size.

What do you think?

R.