ARM release-blocking desktop changed to Xfce

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 7 21:41:02 UTC 2015

In accordance with discussion at today's Go/No-Go meeting, I've changed
the release-blocking desktop for ARM from KDE to Xfce in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Release_criteria_preamble (whic
h is included in each of the Release Criteria pages). For those not at
the meeting and who don't want to read through the whole log, this has
been changed on the basis that KDE 5 requires 3D acceleration and does
not fully work with llvmpipe (software rendering), and we don't have
hardware 3D support for any of our supported ARM platforms at this
time, so it no longer makes any sense for KDE to be the blocking
desktop for ARM.

I'd suggest the ARM team takes whatever steps necessary so that, in
future, they can ensure this desktop is working and tested - including
ensuring that resources will be available to fix bugs in Xfce,
potentially at short notice - and if they wish to change it again or
not have a release-blocking desktop any more, this be proposed at an
appropriate point in the cycle.

I will also adjust the desktop validation matrix appropriately (moving
KDE to non-blocking and ARM to blocking), effective from Alpha RC2 as
this change was effectively applied to Alpha at the meeting.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey