Rust, SAFE Network, Crust and a problem for Fedora 22 x86_64 XFCE (ie not other spins)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:38:05 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:01:03AM +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> On 2015-08-28 10:03, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> >
> >For starters, did you try with other desktop environments, or no desktop
> >environment (so, from a tty)?  Is it the presence of a specific XFCE
> >package thats the reason, or the environment of an XFCE desktop?
>
> Yes, others had no trouble with other Fedora 22 x86_64 spins and it works
> fine on a basic F22 Docker image for me.

In that case, you will have to dig into the source.  I'm barely familiar
with rust, and that too only recently.  If I understand the message
correctly, the test hangs here:

  // from vec.rs
  #[stable(feature = "rust1", since = "1.0.0")]
  impl<T> Index<usize> for Vec<T> {
      type Output = T;

      #[inline]
      fn index(&self, index: usize) -> &T {
          // NB built-in indexing via `&[T]`
          &(**self)[index]                     // <-- here
      }
  }

I would run the failing test (see src/beacon.rs:297) inside a debugger
and check why the index goes out of range, and why instead of
segfaulting[1] it hangs.  If you tell me how to run a rust debugger, I
can try when I have the time (but kinda hard at the moment).

I hope this helps.

Footnotes:

[1] At least that's what I would expect from C/C++ for index out of
    bounds problems.

--
Suvayu