Live request

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Tue Feb 24 04:22:04 UTC 2015

On 02/23/2015 07:38 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Eh? I have dealt with a ton of Supermicro, Asus, and other motherboard
> computers and they have all worked with USB. Of course this is all
> hardware post 2010 so I am guessing the age might be an issue?

Hi John,

In my case, older (say 4 years of so) Supermico motherboards have
no problem.  It is the new ones I am having troubles with.  I
have gotten with Supermicro over the problem and they have come
up with a new bios to fix it.  It did as long as you left "legacy
USB" support enabled.  Then, gosh help you if you leave and kind
of USB stick in the machine when you (re)boot up.  I reported that
one to Supermicro too.  Haven't heard back from them yet.

I hate upgrading BIOS'es as I have had them go foobar on me.  I will
do it on a new board I haven't installed anything on yet.  But
after it get configured/installed, I am loath to upgrade
a bios.

>     Supermicro's BIOS'es are an especially big pain in the neck
>     (not my exact word).  Most PC's will boot off a DVD though.
>     And NO MAC (OSx) will boot off a Live USB without jumping
>     though some crazy hoops.
>

> No recent Mac comes with a DVD either.

Total pain in the neck.  (Had to clean that one up.)  I put
Parallel and Windows 7 Pro on a Mac for a customer last week.
Asus SDRW-08U5S-U External DVD-Writer did the trick.  Now if
he needs to install software from CD/DVD he has a wondering
drive to do it with.   I think Apple wants you to buy everything
on line (from them) and download it.

-T