Is there an http(s) server on the live spin?

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Tue Jun 9 18:43:48 UTC 2015

On 06/09/2015 11:23 AM, Ron Leach wrote:
> On 09/06/2015 19:00, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> On 06/09/2015 05:26 AM, Ron Leach wrote:
>>>
>>> Is an http server included on the current spin? If so, can it also
>>> provide https service, even if using a temporary self-signed
>>> certificate?
>>>
>> You could always do a direct install to a USB stick and
>> do a dnf (yum) to install the http server. That way,
>> it won't be volatile, like a live DVD.
>>

> Todd, that's interesting.  I don't quite follow.
>
> What do you mean by a 'direct install' to a USB stick?  Do you mean
> install Fedora, but onto a USB stick instead of onto a hard drive
> /dev/sda1 or whatever?  And then, presumably, boot from USB as needed.

Yes

> Would such an 'installation' then also run on a completely different
> laptop, with different network card, graphics, etc?

Yes, especially if you change the root= line in grub.cfg to
root=UUID=xxx.  This is the default with the gnome live, but
not the Xfce live.

Also, from my notes:

AFTER the first suscessful boot, to force the stick to scan for new
hardware on each boot, edit dracut:
       /usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d/01-dist.conf
       hostonly="no"

       And to keep dracut updates from overwriting the above line into
       /etc/dracut.conf.d/01-custom.conf

> I wondered whether you meant put the iso on a USB stick and use that
> instead of a DVD but still run the USB stick as a 'live' sort of
> system.

You boot off the the Live DVD, then install to your flash drive.

>  In this latter case, then the stick could be run in a variety
> of laptops/desktops, in the same way that a live CD can be run, because
> it loads the appropriate drivers etc for whatever hardware it finds.

Yes

> If you meant a full install but onto a USB stick instead of onto a hard
> drive, then I guess installing an http server onto that USB installation
> is just like installing it onto a normal hard drive, and once installed
> it's always there (of course).

You don't get the http server when installing from the Live DVD,
but you can easily install it later.  Cherry it out the way you
want.

With this, you can set it up the way you like and then
use it as you wish in other machines.  I have a trouble
shooting stick I use for just that purpose.  Test hard drives,
remove Windows passwords, partition drives, remove GPT
partitions, scan for all MAC address (busts folks who
take their own router to work to get Wi Fi on their phones),
etc..

Be sure to set the screen saver to Bouncing Cows, so the
Windows user can see what they are missing!

-T