XFCE 4.12 on EPEL7

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidi at xfce.org
Thu Mar 5 18:24:56 UTC 2015

Hi Stephen,

> I am going to be looking at older versions for the time being and then
> look at what could be done about newer versions. I hadn't really thought of
> it as a XFCE mailing list thing as well we ship old stuff, you write new
> stuff.. why is it your problem :). But if you are willing to look at it..

Parole was ported to GTK+3 a while ago. We're currently porting the rest,
and clearly people will have to choose *one* core Xfce (either 4.12/gtk2 or
4.14/gtk3). However as far as non-core apps like Parole go, you should in
theory be able to use another version.

If for a reason you can't ship the GTK+3 version now, but are happy to use
a GTK+2 version, this is fine for us. There might be a reason why it
doesn't compile anymore, e.g. some change we made in libxfce4ui/util
(though I think it should work just fine). In that case, we might be able
to help you write a distro-patch that makes it build for this specific
architecture and distro. I don't think we want any more gtk2/gtk3 ifdefs in
the code base (I'm specially stressing this out as I'm speaking about code
that *other people* are maintaining, not me! :-) ) but our goal is to help
everyone run our apps, so if you're getting stuck somewhere, do chat with
us.

Cheers,
--
Steve Dodier-Lazaro