[Zarafa] Zarafa Shows Open Source Momentum at FOSDEM 2011

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 2 10:10:54 UTC 2011

PRESS RELEASE: Zarafa Shows Open Source Momentum at FOSDEM 2011

At FOSDEM 2011 (5-6 February, Brussels), Zarafa, the leading European
provider of open source groupware and collaboration will present its new
Zarafa 7.0.0 beta2 with a new, faster IMAP gateway and share how the
Enterprise MySQL performance can be doubled by implementing I/O prefetch
for InnoDB.

New IMAP gateway
----------------

To offer a better compatibility for users with generic IMAP clients like
Mac Mail and Thunderbird, the Zarafa Gateway is rewritten in ZCP 7.0 The
new IMAP gateway offers a new configuration option to store more message
information, like the envelope information, body structure and whole RFC822
message. By storing this extra information, the gateway doesn't need to do
a conversion from MAPI to RFC822, which can increase the performance of the
gateway by a factor of 10.

The option add_imap_data has to set in the /etc/zarafa/dagent.cfg and
/etc/zarafa/gateway.cfg to use the benefits of the new gateway.

Besides a speed improvement, from now on all PGP/mime emails and s/mime
encrypted mails will be supported and all message headers can be retrieved.
The gateway is also extended with quota support (to view the mailbox size
and quota in the IMAP client) and UIDplus support (to reduce the amount of
time and resources used by some client operations).

Doubling Enterprise MySQL performance: implementing I/O prefetch for InnoDB

On Saturday, 5th of February at 2pm in the MySQL Developer Room (H.2213),
Steve Hardy, CTO at Zarafa, will present the results of research into the
I/O performance of MySQL in typical enterprise setups. This new development
can improve total disk throughput by more than 100% in certain cases.

Tests have shown that InnoDB is not using traditional spindle-based I/O
subsystems to their maximum potential while doing OLTP workloads with
I/O-bound queries; Pages are requested sequentially from the disk system
instead of asynchronously, even when using MySQL 5.5's native Aynchronous
I/O support. The presentation shows the advantages of implementing a
prefetch mechanism which can result in large gains in I/O performance. For
more information of the Innodb prefetch improvement see this mailinglist
post: http://lists.mysql.com/internals/38126.

Mark Callaghan of Facebook says: "This is very interesting. My workload has
too much concurrency already so I am most interested in the change to make
records_in_range do less IO".

The acceptance of this talk at FOSDEM in the MySQL track is in line with
Zarafa's commitment to display its commitment to state of the art thought
leadership in groupware I/O R&D.

In January, Zarafa also made its bug tracking system public on
http://trac.zarafa.com. It allows users and administrators to find existing
issues easily and track if an issue is already merged in a specific
version.