[Zarafa] Request to include Zarafa WebApp

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 19 16:02:27 UTC 2013

Hello Ernst,

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Ernst Bammer wrote:
> first I wanted to thank Robert Scheck for his work in packaging Zarafa
> for Fedora/EPEL. I am using it on CentOS, and it works very well.
> I'd like to install the new Zarafa WebApp [1] also from the EPEL
> repository. Are there any plans in providing it too? (Or is it already
> included in the testing version?)

I spend some time like a year ago to try to package the Zarafa WebApp.
During that I figured out that there are unfortunately some issues that
need to be solved before the package would pass a Fedora Package Review.

The issues are binary-only Flash (*.swf) files, missing licensing texts
in the source code files as well as multiple bundled libraries (some of
these bundled libraries seem to be forked and IIRC one upstream appeared
to be gone). Note that it's not "just" unbundling libraries, but more...

All these issues have been reported (including more details) by me at
least twice (last time at Sun, 24 Mar 2013 04:22:40 +0100) to Zarafa as
upstream of WebApp. Unfortunately there is still no WebApp release which
addresses all the issues.

Given that my personal interest in Zarafa WebApp is very limited anyway,
I'm happy about helping hands. If anyone is interested in taking it, go
for it. Some Fedora users are AFAIK using one of the WebApp RPM packages
that Zarafa distributes - however you need to take care about Apache 2.4
specific configuration yourself as this is not covered by the official
Zarafa WebApp RPM packages.

Greetings,
  Robert